Thursday, April 23, 2009

Charles Rosen: Pianist Extraordinaire

Piano recitals don't rank very high in my book. I played piano for several years and ultimately dreaded the recitals. I didn't understand why we had to showcase our skills when we were just learning. It was an embarrassing, nerve racking experience that led to my decision to stop playing piano. Lame, I know.

However Charles Rosen changed my view of a "piano recital." The first half of the show was a beautiful combination of peaceful music primarily by Chopin. I enjoyed all the pieces but the first one seemed to stand out the most. I'm not sure if it was because it was the first one I heard and I was simply surprised by his skill but throughout the first half, all I kept thinking about was the first Beethoven piece.

While the concert was approximately two hours, it went by faster than I thought. I really enjoyed switching perspectives to see Rosen's fingers play the piano. The determination and precision in each slow and quick movement kept my attention throughout his final pieces. My hands tired from clapping so I couldn't imagine the exhaustion he felt.

Lastly, he memorized all pieces as there was no sheet music in front of him. He is obviously an experienced pianist and his showcase of talent throughout the performance covered a variety of pieces that surprisingly entertained me with no problem. I worried that the music would lull me to sleep but I was jolted awake by focusing on him as he played.

Pianos are one instrument that always throw me off because I can't possibly grasp how so much sound and quality comes from just one instrument. Charles Rosen was like a one man band or more fittingly a pianist extraordinaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment